Borrowing Physical Materials
We have restarted access to our physical collections, and you can request materials for pickup at Lamont Library.
Items are available for request from Harvard-Yenching Library, Tozzer Library, Frances Loeb Library (GSD), Widener Library, Lamont Library, and the Harvard Depository.
Due to construction, you must pick up your materials at Lamont West Door. The most direct access is through the Dexter Gate, located on Massachusetts Avenue, across from the Harvard Bookstore. Once inside Harvard Yard, turn right and follow the brick path to the Lamont West Door. Access to Harvard Yard via the Quincy Street gate nearest the bus stop is currently closed.
As of August 4, 2020
- Book pickup is by appointment only. Submit your requests through HOLLIS, and once your materials are ready, we'll send you an email with information on how to schedule a pickup time.
- If you request multiple items, we will batch them together so you can schedule a single pickup.
- Due to safety precautions, same-day pickup is not available. If you already have a pickup scheduled and add another item, you must schedule a separate pickup on a subsequent day.
- When you come to pickup your materials, you must wear a face covering, maintain physical distancing, and follow all instructions given by our staff.
- At this time, book pickup is only available to Harvard students, faculty, and staff.
- BorrowDirect and interlibrary loan remain halted for the time being.
- Materials from all of our libraries are housed at the Harvard Depository, so please request what you need and we'll do our best to get it to you.
Books can be returned to Widener Library using the Massachusetts Avenue entrance. Please note that you must wear a face covering, and you will not be able to enter the library beyond the drop-off point.
Available, June 2020
- Most due dates for borrowed items have been extended. If you are graduating or leaving your staff or faculty position, please contact us.
- To check your due date and renew books, visit your HOLLIS account.
- If necessary, you can return your books by mail.
- We have limited staff on-site to check materials back in, so they may still appear in your HOLLIS account, and you may continue to receive automated notices from the circulation system.
What's New: Library Services Available Now
Discover More Online Resources
Looking for more detailed information on Borrowing, Returns, and Recalls? Please note that the information on that page is superseded by this page.