Borrowing Physical Materials
We have restarted access to our physical collections, and you can request materials for pickup at Lamont Library. Use HOLLIS to place your request. Physical materials will be available for pickup at a scheduled time at Lamont Library and scanned material will be emailed to you.
The amount of time it takes to fulfill requests can greatly vary. We are adhering to a number of safety protocols, so please allow a variation in time for when a book will be ready for pickup.
As of January 12, 2021
How to borrow
- Book pickup is by appointment only. Submit your requests through HOLLIS, and once your materials are ready, we'll send you an email with information on how to schedule a pickup time.
- If you request multiple items, we will batch them together so you can schedule a single pickup.
- Due to safety precautions, same-day pickup is not available. If you already have a pickup scheduled and add another item, you must schedule a separate pickup on a subsequent day.
- When you come to pickup your materials, you must wear a face covering, maintain physical distancing, and follow all instructions given by our staff.
- At this time, book pickup is only available to Harvard students, faculty, and staff.
- Faculty, staff, and students coming to Lamont should complete a Crimson Clear attestation before coming to campus. If you need to send a designee to pick up your request, please be sure that person completes a Crimson Clear attestation before coming to campus (if they do not have an HUID for Crimson Clear, they can complete the paper form).
Items available from:
- Widener, Lamont, Countway, Harvard Depository, Loeb Design, Tozzer, Harvard-Yenching, Fine Arts, Loeb Music, Ernst Mayr, Cabot, Divinity, Law, HKS, Wolbach, and Baker.
- Materials from all of our libraries are housed at the Harvard Depository, so please request what you need and we'll do our best to get it to you.
- BorrowDirect and InterLibrary Loan are available.
Books can be returned to Widener Library using the Massachusetts Avenue entrance. Please note that you must wear a face covering, and you will not be able to enter the library beyond the drop-off point.
Available, June 2020
- Most due dates for borrowed items have been extended. If you are graduating or leaving your staff or faculty position, please contact us.
- To check your due date and renew books, visit your HOLLIS account.
- If necessary, you can return your books by mail.
- We have limited staff on-site to check materials back in, so they may still appear in your HOLLIS account, and you may continue to receive automated notices from the circulation system.
- Faculty, staff, and students coming to Widener should complete a Crimson Clear attestation before coming to campus. If you need to send a designee to drop off your materials, please be sure that person completes a Crimson Clear attestation before coming to campus (if they do not have an HUID for Crimson Clear, they can complete the paper form).
What's New: Library Services Available Now
Remote Help Now Available
Updated hours for intersession and the spring semester will be posted in January.
Our physical spaces may be closed, but we're available online. We're ready to help you find the materials, resources, and tools you need to do your work this semester.
Get Help Now
Not sure where to begin? During our expanded chat hours, our staff of librarians, archivists, and subject matter experts are ready to answer your questions.
Fall 2020 Remote Help Hours (Eastern Daylight Time)
- Monday through Thursday: 9am - 9pm
- Friday: 9am - 7pm
- Saturday: 9am - 5pm
- Sunday: 12pm - 7pm
Looking for remote help with video, podcasting, AR/VR, visualization, or other media? Our staff of media experts are here to help you.
Fall 2020 Virtual Media Help Desk (Eastern Daylight Time)
- Monday through Friday: 9 am - 4:30pm
- In a different time zone? We can also schedule meetings at a time that's convenient for you.
Discover More Online Resources
Looking for more detailed information on Borrowing, Returns, and Recalls? Please note that the information on that page is superseded by this page.