February 18, 2014—The inaugural Fair Use Week, sponsored by the Harvard Library Office for Scholarly Communication (OSC), will be held from February 24 to 28. It will feature guest blogs from experts on fair use, libraries and the law, fair use videos and a Fair Use panel.
The Fair Use panel will feature:
- Andy Sellers, Corydon B. Dunham First Amendment Fellow, Berkman Center
- Ann Whiteside, Librarian and Assistant Dean for Information Resources, Graduate School of Design
- Laura Quilter, Copyright and Information Policy Librarian, University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Ellen Durancea, Program Manager, Office of Scholarly Publishing, Copyright and Licensing, MIT
Any questions about Fair Use Week can be directed to...read more
February 18, 2014—Work on migrating to the next-generation Digital Repository Service (DRS) continues with several accomplishments since the January update:
- A new web page to inform users about the status of the new DRS was launched. The page includes up-to-date information about the migration, including a timeline of activities (see above) and new functions being built in DRS.
- The Frances Loeb Library at the Graduate School of Design began depositing electronic theses and dissertations to the new DRS. ...
I am pleased to invite nominations for the Strategic Conversations Working Group. The Strategic Conversations series is designed to inform the strategic direction of the Library and foster a culture of innovation, entrepreneurship and collaboration among staff, faculty, and others in our community. It aims to engage members of the Library Board and Faculty Advisory Council with issues that are facing libraries in general and the Harvard Library in particular in the emerging digital age.
During 2011-2012 the Library planned and hosted a number of events badged under Strategic Conversations. Now, with the Harvard Library in its second year of existence, the series will enter a new phase. We will organize a number of activities in 2014 centered around three inter-related topics: the future of libraries;...read more
February 18, 2014—Choice, a publication of the American Library Association, named Open Access (MIT Press, 2012) by Peter Suber an Outstanding Academic Title for 2013. Suber is the director of the Harvard Office for Scholarly Communication and the Harvard Open Access Project at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society.
Choice editors applied the following criteria to make their selection:
- overall excellence in presentation and scholarship
Dear members of the Harvard community,
We are closely monitoring the snowstorm that is expected to reach the Cambridge/Boston area tomorrow morning. The snowfall is expected to be underway during the morning commute but change over to rain in the Greater Boston area by midday.
At this time, we are not contemplating any delays or planning to change University operations.
If you have concerns about the safety of your commute, please be in touch with your supervisor to discuss scheduling options. We will continue to closely monitor the forecast this afternoon and into the evening. Should weather conditions warrant schedule changes, we will distribute information through MessageMe and email. Updates will also be posted to the Harvard Emergency page and 866-496-NEWS....read more