Harvard Library offers the ability to request high-quality reproductions of library materials for research or publication. Requests for reproduction are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Our ability to fulfill your request may depend on the policies of the library that holds the material, the condition of the material, copyright, or donor restrictions.
There are two ways to initiate a reproduction request. Both require you to have a HOLLIS Special Request account. You do not need to be affiliated with Harvard to create an account. Log into your HOLLIS Special Request account or create a new account here.
Start your request via HOLLIS
- Find the item you'd like reproduced in the HOLLIS catalog
- Find the "Request to Scan or Visit" link
- This link will bring you to the HOLLIS Special Request system
- The system will default to the Reading Room Request Form
- Simply click the "Switch to Photoduplication" button at the top of the form
- The form will auto-populate with the information pulled from HOLLIS.
- Complete the form and submit your request
Start your request via HOLLIS Special Request
- Log into HOLLIS Special Request
- Click "Request for photoduplication"
- Fill out the required fields and submit your request
Pricing for reproductions varies based on the characteristics of the source material and the quality of reproduction requested.
Many libraries are able to provide quick reference scans of a few pages at no cost.
If, however, the original material cannot be digitized by the library, or if very high-quality scans are necessary for publication, the request will be forwarded to Harvard Library’s Imaging Services department. Pricing estimates for reproductions created by Imaging Services are available here.
You will be contacted with a quote before your request is processed and pre-payment is required for all orders.
If you have questions about requesting reproductions you can contact the library that holds the materials (view full list of libraries) or you can contact Imaging Services at 617-495-3995 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.