Harvard Library offers users the ability to request high-quality reproductions of library materials for research or publication.
Requests for reproductions are considered on a case-by-case basis, based on the policies of individual libraries as well as legal constraints such as copyright and donor restrictions.
Requests may be refused if items are too fragile to be reproduced without damage.
Submitting A Reproduction Request
Requests for reproductions are processed via the HOLLIS Special Request system. You do not need to be affiliated with Harvard to create an account and submit requests. The same system can be used to track the status of your order.
There are two ways to initiate a request:
Start via HOLLIS
- Find the item you'd like reproduced in HOLLIS
- Click "Request Item"
- You will be sent over to HOLLIS Special Request
- The system will default to the Reading Room Request Form
- Simply click the "Switch to Photoduplication" button at the top of the form
- The form will auto-populate with the information pulled from HOLLIS.
Start via HOLLIS Special Request
- Log into HOLLIS Special Request
- Click "Request for photoduplication"
- Fill out the required fields
Reproduction Formats & Pricing
Below are estimates of costs associated with each reproduction format.
Final price quotes will be provided, and pre-payment is required before your order will be processed. Imaging Services accepts payment via credit card, personal check, money order or wire transfer. University orders may be payed for via your 33-digit billing code.
Studio Digital Photography
Studio digital photography produces publication-quality reproductions, delivered via file transfer or by flash drive.
This method offers the highest quality digital images, matched to originals in color and tone. It's suitable for the most fragile, rare, and complex materials, or in cases where close fidelity to the original is desired. Requests can be customized and adapted for specific needs and requirements.
Pricing for studio digital photography is determined by volume and complexity. Additional charges may apply for special handling or set up. Here are some estimates:
- Loose materials up to 19" x 20": $8 to $20 per image
- Loose materials larger than 19" x 20" and up to 34" x 45": $15 to $35 per image
- Bound materials up to 19" x 20": $8 to $30 per image
- Bound materials larger than 19" x 20" and up to 34" x 45": $15 to $45 per image
- Materials larger than 34" x 45": Call for estimate
Standard Digital Photography
Standard digital photography is used for reference scans of entire works no longer under copyright. The scans are delivered through a link to the material in the library catalog record.
The reproductions created via this method are high-quality digital images, 300 dpi capture resolution, with an emphasis on legible text and clear images.
- Loose materials up to 15"x 23": $1 per image
- Bound materials up to: up to 15" x 20": $1 per image
- Alternate pricing may apply to some materials
Our exhibition quality ink jet print process uses pigment-based inks on archival luster and smooth rag surfaced papers.
Ink Jet Prints:
- 8" x 10": First print $25, additional of same image up to 10 $12.50 each
- 11" x 14: First print $35, additional of same image up to 10 $20 each
- 16" x 20": First print $65, additional of same image up to 10 $50 each
- 20" x 24": First print $85, additional of same image up to 10 $75 each
- 20" x 30": First print $105, additional of same image up to 10 $95 each
- Custom size: Call for estimate
- Ink jet proofs: Print color will be adjusted to obtain the best reasonable match to the original. For 16" x 20" and larger prints, and for more exacting color matching, an 8" x 10" approval proof print is recommended. Up to two approval prints are available for $12.50 each.
Existing Digital Images
You can request high resolution files for materials that the library has already digitized.
- $20 for 1 to 10 images
- $2 for each additional image
Microfilm reproduction requests are for positive, film copies of existing microfilm.
- Duplicate 35mm microfilm: $80 per reel, including reel and box
- Duplicate fiche from existing fiche: $15 per sheet
- Microforms digitization: minimum charge of $150, call for estimate
Imaging Services offers three options for reproductions delivery:
Imaging Services' Patron Services office is located in Widener Library:
Ground Floor, Room G-81
A Harvard ID is required to enter Widener Library. Those without access who wish to pick up an order should contact Imaging Services.
Domestic shipments are sent via FedEx 2nd Day for $13 per order
International shipments are sent via FedEx International Delivery for $25 per order
Online delivery of digital files through a file-transfer service is available at a cost of $10 per order.
Standard turnaround time for reproduction requests is 12 business days, beginning after payment and once source materials have been delivered to Imaging Services.
Orders for 11 or more items can take additional time.
Rush service is available, but is dependent on existing workload and access to the source materials. If you would like rush service, please note that when you submit your request. Rush service charges are as follows:
- 5 business day rush: $50 per order
- 2 business day rush: $100 per order
- 24 hour rush: $200 per order
Errors, Refunds & Cancellations
Refunds & Cancellations
In the rare case where payment for services has been accepted and we are unable to provide some or all of the requested services, we will refund the full value of any un-fulfilled services.
Orders may not be canceled after order processing has begun. However, you may request a partial refund for any items for which work has not begun.
A $15 minimum cancellation fee will be applied to all canceled orders.
If we fail to provide you with the product requested in the original order, notify us within 90 days and we will re-fill your order at no charge. You will be asked to return the original items we delivered so we can review them before re-filling your order.
Any rush charges assessed on the original order will be fully refunded.