Create your Library Reserves
Whether you want to reuse materials you requested in the past, or you want to request something new, we can help.
Create a list of what you need in Canvas, and we will find or create a digital copy. If you need us to make a physical copy available instead, note that in your request. We encourage you to include items that you know the library does not own; we'll figure it out.
Things to know :
- If we can't locate an exisiting digital version, we can use a physical copy to create a digital copy.
- If you include a date-needed-by in your request, we will do our best to accommodate.
- Not everything available digitally has unlimited access. We will do our best to optimize availability within copyright restrictions.
Course Reserves, by School
Have a question about setting up reserves for your course? Find help by School.
- Business: Baker Business Library, email
- Design: Loeb Design Library, email
- Divinity: Harvard Divinity School Library, email
- Education: Gutman Library, email
- FAS: Harvard Library Access Services, email
- Kennedy: HKS Library, email
- Law: Harvard Law School Library, email
- Medical, Dental, Public Health: Countway Medical Library, email
- Summer School and Extension School Canvas sites do not include the Library Reserves tool by default. Please email us for assistance with these courses.
Each semester, we give priority to requests submitted by these dates:
- Fall term: August 1
- J-term: November 15
- Spring term: December 1
- Summer term: May 15
Priority dates for professional schools may differ.
E-books and digital articles:
- 1-2 business days, if we already own
- Varies, if we need to purchase
Scans of print material
- 2-4 business days, for chapters of books we already own
- 4 weeks, for entire books we already own
- 4-6 weeks, material we need to purchase
- 2-4 business days, if already licensed
- Varies, depending on licensing agreements, generally 4-6 weeks.
Managing Library Reserves Lists
Course reserves for FAS courses are managed through the Library Reserves section in Canvas. You'll use the platform to submit requests, reuse past course reserve lists, and track the processing status of requested items.
- Log in to Canvas
- Reuse a Library Reserves list from a previous semester or create a new one
- Add items by searching the Library's collection from directly within the Library's Reserves tool, or use HOLLIS or Cite It! to import citations. You can also add a citation manually.
- Submit your Library Reserves list to the library for review and processing
- Publish your list to make it viewable to your students
Details about reserves for your classes can be found on your course Canvas site.
Look for the "Library Reserves" section, where you'll find links to online readings and information about how to access physical items placed on reserve.
Things to keep in mind
- Physical items placed on reserve are loaned out for three hours at a time.
- You can check the availability of an item by clicking the links to HOLLIS on your course site.