Make your requests now for Fall 2021 courses in Canvas. Priority will be given to requests made before August 10, 2021.
Create your Library Reserves List in Canvas
Whether you want to reuse materials you requested in the past, or you want to request something new, we can help.
Just create a list of what you need in Canvas, and we will find or create a digital copy. If you need us to make a physical copy available instead, note that in your request.
Things to know:
- We are committed to providing every available resource to support teaching and learning. We encourage you to include items that you know the library does not own.
- We will first look for any existing digital access for requested materials, including licensed journal articles and e-books, as well as open access materials. If we cannot locate an item in a digital format, we can use a physical copy to create a digital version.
- If we need to purchase or digitize a requested item, we may need up to 6 weeks to complete the request. Requests received by August 10 will receive priority. If you include a date-needed-by in your request, we will do our best to accommodate.
- Not everything available digitally will have unlimited access. We will, however, do what we can to optimize availability within copyright restrictions.
- Summer School and Extension School Canvas sites do not include the Library Reserves tool by default. Please email us for assistance with these courses.
Course Reserves, by Professional School
Have a question about setting up reserves for your course from another School?
- Business: Baker Business Library, email
- Design: Loeb Design Library, email
- Divinity: Harvard Divinity School Library, email
- Education: Gutman Library, email
- FAS: Harvard Library Access Services, email
- Kennedy: HKS Library, email
- Law: Harvard Law School Library, email
- Medical, Dental, Public Health: Countway Medical Library, email
Managing Library Reserves Lists
Course reserves for FAS courses are managed through the Library Reserves section in Canvas. You'll use the platform to submit requests, reuse past course reserve lists, and track the processing status of requested items.
- Log in to Canvas
- Reuse a Library Reserves list from a previous semester or create a new one
- Add items by searching the Library's collection from directly within the Library's Reserves tool, or use HOLLIS or Cite It! to import citations. You can also add a citation manually.
- Submit your Library Reserves list to the library for review and processing
- Publish your list to make it viewable to your students
Details about reserves for your classes can be found on your course Canvas site.
Look for the "Library Reserves" section, where you'll find links to online readings and information about how to access physical items placed on reserve.
Things to keep in mind
- Physical items placed on reserve are loaned out for three hours at a time.
- You can check the availability of an item by clicking the links to HOLLIS on your course site.