Free NYT Access
All Harvard students, faculty, and staff can activate a free digital subscription to the New York Times.
You'll have access to:
- A personal nytimes.com account with full digital access
- Digital content, from mid-1990s to present, including videos, podcasts, and interactive media
- New York Times articles from 1851 to present, from the print and digital editions
Things to know:
- Students will have access through their graduation year
- Faculty and staff will have access for four years
- Crossword puzzles aren't included
- Access is for current students, faculty, and staff only
Do you already have an account?
Users who currently have a digital subscription with the New York Times can follow these steps to set up a free account through Harvard Library.
If you have a paid personal account...
If you have a paid personal account, and you'd like to change it to a free Harvard-sponsored account, you'll need to cancel your personal account before you can claim your free account.
To cancel an existing account, please contact New York Times Customer Care:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 800-591-9233
- Live chat
If you have an existing account through Harvard...
Any existing nytimes.com accounts from HKS, HLS, HBS, and HSPH users will need to be re-activated. Every account holder will receive a message directly from the New York Times with registration instructions on the morning of June 1, 2021. If you run into trouble, you can report a problem.
Past issues of the New York Times
To access the NYT without a digital subscription, HarvardKey holders can also use ProQuest or Nexis Uni.
1851 to 2014
Use ProQuest Historical to search full text and images from 1851 through 2014. It includes news, illustrations, editorials and advertising.
1980 to Present
To use Nexis Uni to search text from 1980 to the present day:
- Select the Menu drop down at the top of the search screen and choose "All Sources."
- Use the search box to the left to search for The New York Times.
- Select The New York Times source you're interested in and click the down arrow to the right, then select "Add source as a search filter."
- Complete your search in the search bar at the top of the page.