Welcome to the Media Lab
Located on B-level of the Lamont Library in the main reading room, the Media Lab has everything you need for media creation, editing and production. In the lab you can:
- Music: Use USB midi keyboards and music notation software to create music
- Visual media: Make videos, animations, visualizations, photos, posters, and more
- Big screens: Use our external monitors with your own machines
Import and Export Media
- Audio: CDs, LP/records, cassette tapes
- Video: DVD, VHS, camera footage
- Visuals: Photos, slides, filmstrips, and positives/negatives
- Burn: CDs/DVDs
Media Help Hours
The lab machines can be used whenever Lamont Library is open. Student media consultants are available during our help hours outlined below.
See the Lamont Library's full hours for monthly hours, including holiday exceptions.
- Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. — 10 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. — 10 p.m.
- Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. — 5 p.m.
Large Format Printing
The Multimedia Lab offers large format printing to all Harvard ID holders 7 days a week during regular term hours: Monday through Friday 9am to 9pm and Saturday and Sunday 10am to 9pm.
Prints can be made on heavy paper that is up to 42 inches wide or photo paper up to 36 inches wide and with a potential length of up to 100 feet.
The cost of printing is $2 per square foot of the image on heavy paper or $5 per square foot of the image for photo paper. We only accept Crimson Cash or 33-digit department billing codes for payment. Instructions for depositing funds to your Crimson Cash account.
Files need to be brought to the Multimedia Lab ready to be printed and at the desired final dimensions. If you need assistance or have further questions, please visit us or call us at 617-495-8730.
Classes wishing to make use of the large format printer should contact us in advance for assistance with planning and scheduling.
Media Lab Equipment
We are currently updating our equipment records to create an easier-to-use catalog. A partial list of our equipment is available via HOLLIS.
Equipment You Can Borrow From The Media Lab
This equipment is available for 24-hour checkout with your Harvard ID:
- Cameras (a few DSLRs, a good amount of consumer-grade HD camcorders)
- SD cards
- Photo and video tripods, 2 tripod phone mounts
- Large LED lights with stands
- Green screen, black, and white backdrops with stand
- On-camera shotgun mics
- Snowball and Yeti mics for USB recording
- 5 wired lav. mics
- 2 360-degree camera (Ricoh and Samsung)
- 4 Tascam DR-40 audio recorders
Equipment available for use in the Media Lab
In addition to the machines in the lab — scanners, DVD, VCR, DAT, audiocassette, and LP import devices — we also have:
- Data transfer cables (various USB, Firewire, eSATA, Apple adapters, and others)
- Various HDMI and VGA cables to connect machines to monitors or projectors
- Hard drives for transferring projects from one machine to another
- Headphone splitters
- SD and multi-card readers (connect via USB 3)
- USB DVD players (can also be used to burn a DVD or CD)
Work in the Media Lab
Interested in working at the Media Lab?
We offer flexible hours for students throughout the year, including the summer. Shifts typically run two to four hours between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m.
We look for candidates with some experience making media and an interest in learning more. We tend hire toward the beginning of each semester: spring, fall, and summer.
If you're interested in working with us or want more information contact us.