Welcome to the Media Lab
Located on B-level of the Lamont Library in the main reading room, the Media Lab has everything you need for media creation, editing and production. In the lab you can:
- Music: Use USB midi keyboards and music notation software to create music
- Visual media: Make videos, animations, visualizations, photos, posters, and more
- Big screens: Use our external monitors with your own machines
Import and Export Media
- Audio: CDs, LP/records, cassette tapes
- Video: DVD, VHS, camera footage
- Visuals: Photos, slides, filmstrips, and positives/negatives
- Burn: CDs/DVDs
Media Help Hours
The lab machines can be used whenever Lamont Library is open. Student media consultants are available during our help hours outlined below.
See the Lamont Library's full hours for monthly hours, including holiday exceptions.
- Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. — 10 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. — 10 p.m.
- Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. — 5 p.m.
Media Lab Equipment
We are currently updating our equipment records to create an easier-to-use catalog. A partial list of our equipment is available via HOLLIS.
Media Equipment You Can Borrow From The Lamont Circulation Desk
This equipment is available for 24-hour checkout with your Harvard ID:
- Cameras (a few DSLRs, a good amount of consumer-grade HD camcorders)
- SD cards
- Photo and video tripods, 2 tripod phone mounts
- Large LED lights with stands
- Green screen, black, and white backdrops with stand
- On-camera shotgun mics
- Snowball and Yeti mics for USB recording
- 5 wired lav. mics
- 2 360-degree camera (Ricoh and Samsung)
- 4 Tascam DR-40 audio recorders
Equipment available for use in the Media Lab
In addition to the machines in the lab — scanners, DVD, VCR, DAT, audiocassette, and LP import devices — we also have:
- Data transfer cables (various USB, Firewire, eSATA, Apple adapters, and others)
- Various HDMI and VGA cables to connect machines to monitors or projectors
- Hard drives for transferring projects from one machine to another
- Headphone splitters
- SD and multi-card readers (connect via USB 3)
- USB DVD players (can also be used to burn a DVD or CD)
These items can be borrowed from the student assistant in the lab during staffed hours.
Work in the Media Lab
Interested in working at the Media Lab?
We offer flexible hours for students throughout the year, including the summer. Shifts typically run two to four hours between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m.
We look for candidates with some experience making media and an interest in learning more. We tend hire toward the beginning of each semester: spring, fall, and summer.
If you're interested in working with us or want more information contact us.