The Davis Center collection contains books and periodicals related to the field of Russian and Eurasian studies, particularly in the areas of political science, economics, sociology and history.
The general collection consists of approximately 20,000 volumes, primarily scholarly monographs, reference books, archival guides and statistical publications. It also includes current newspapers and periodicals.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The collection includes print subscriptions to a selection of area journals, newspapers, and periodicals in both English and Russian. Current issues may be used in the library, and selected back issues may be ordered for next day delivery via HOLLIS. Many of these titles are also available online.
Information about finding a specific title can be found in the Slavic Studies Research Guide.
Collections on Microfilm
- Union Republic newspapers (1955–1990)
- Davis Center Library Microfilm Collection (stored off-site)
- Pravda (1917–1957)
- More information on special collections held at the Davis Center
- Davis Center Library Press Packets Collection – material from the Center for Democratic Institutions (1997-1998) (stored off-site)
- Davis Center Library Reprint File – papers, articles and off-prints donated by Russian Research Center professors (stored off-site)
- Davis Center Library Vertical File – clippings, articles and brochures arranged alphabetically by subject (A–Zyuganov) (stored off-site)
- Russian Research Center Seminars – seminar papers delivered by Russian Research Center professors (1948-1979) (stored off-site)
- Davis Center Library Poster Collection (post-WWII) (stored off-site)
Accessing These Materials
- The entire Davis Center Collection is searchable online in Harvard Library's HOLLIS catalog.
- General collection, reference, and periodical items can be found in the Fung Library reading room and/or stacks.
- Some materials — books published before 1977, periodicals published before 1990, and newspapers published before 2000 — are stored off-site and take 24 hours to retrieve.
- To request special collection materials or items held in offsite storage, please contact Fung Library staff.
- Please note that all materials in the Davis Center Collection are available for in-library use only.